Friday, January 2, 2015

Stuck between Wanderlust and Responsibility




I don't know about you, but ever since I was a kid I've been dreaming about traveling the world and seeing all the sights and sounds, eating and dancing my way from country to country. 
I'm sure every 20- something must have felt this way one time or another.. but recently I've been thinking about it a lot. 

Maybe it's because of the New Year or the fact that I'm in my last year of college but something is totally hit me. I'm never going to be as young as I am at this moment. 
I don't know whether to seize this moment or to postpone it. 

I'm stuck between wanderlust and responsibility. Yes, of course I want to go but the responsibility of finding a job and finding a stable path of life is equal in balance. I don't want to disappoint what I've been working for all my life, yet I also want to just ditch it all and run away. Also another small detail is holding me back- I got no money. I've heard and read about people who just pack up and leave and it turns out wonderfully for them- but they're always those people who are super outgoing and full of life and easy to talk to- you know the type. I feel like it would blow up in my face. 
The desire is real, but so is the nasty idea of becoming a grown up. 

Anyways, I don't know what to do! A lot of my friends already know what they're doing after college with their full-time careers and stuff. Yet here I am.. almost done with college with no freaking clue on what to do! I mean, what is really the point of slaving away in school only to slave away at a job? 

Have any of you felt this way? What did you decide to do? 
Did you follow your curiosity of the world or did you find a way with a career? 
I'd really love to know. 

signed- confused 


7 comments:

  1. Maybe it would be good to take a year to do whatever you want to do and not worry about a career. If you want to travel but have no money to spare on it, take a road trip with some friends or go somewhere you have never been that's closer to home. You don't have to travel half way across the world to consider it traveling. If you go anywhere new closer to home I feel like you could get that same rush of excitement. And who knows, along the way, you might figure out what you want to do as a career.

    Best wishes

    allsprinkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i already know that once sixth form is up thats its, I'm going to fuck it and take an amazing gap year! Maybe some travelling might be good for you to finally get your head together in what you want to do!??xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts! I'm definitely considering taking a gap year now.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take some time off, but travel with purpose and make it a meaningful experience and not just a typical vacation/relax/sight seeing trip. For example, get an internship overseas, or temporary work visa, or go on a humanitarian/volunteer/non-profit/church mission etc. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but being a participant vs a tourist is what will really broaden your horizon and help you find exactly what it is that you're passionate about in life. Don't be too worried about careers - it's really just about money vs enjoyment when it comes to jobs. Perhaps there are specific fields that you really enjoy working in, then perhaps not. I've found that people who really dive into a career and stick with it longterm(happily) tend to be ones that have been passionate about the subject since forever. For example, someone who's been obsessed with airplanes all his/her life becoming a pilot, airplane mechanic, aerospace engineer etc. However, the truth is, most of us are more rounded, and have multiple interests, all the while being super passionate in none. Don't be discouraged just because you're a well-rounded person, as those people generally make the best leaders in any organization. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much for this post! If I could hug you, I would! :) x

      Delete
  5. You seem like like such a nice person! this post is so well written and inspiratinoal haha!
    Good luck in all your life decisons!
    If you wanted to discuss some things, anything, fashion beauty, lifestyle ect! just contact me http://www.sophelba.blogspot.co.uk/ xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete